What should I ask my doctor about having a chest x-ray?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having a chest x-ray. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.
  • What are the possible benefits for me of having a chest x-ray?
  • What are my individual risks from having a chest x-ray?
  • How much radiation will I be exposed to during the test?
  • What happens next if the chest x-ray shows something that needs further examination?

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...
How does an x-ray work?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Plain film radiography unifies principles of photography, anatomy, and x-ray production. X-rays ...
What is an abdominal x-ray?
An abdominal x-ray is an x-ray of the organs inside the abdomen. An x-ray is a type of radiation tha...
Are x-rays used to diagnose osteoarthritis?
Absolutely. Especially if you want to make your doc or healthcare system richer. When you tell your ...