What should I ask my doctor about having a chest x-ray?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having a chest x-ray. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.
  • What are the possible benefits for me of having a chest x-ray?
  • What are my individual risks from having a chest x-ray?
  • How much radiation will I be exposed to during the test?
  • What happens next if the chest x-ray shows something that needs further examination?

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Who performs the chest x-ray test?
A chest x-ray is performed by a radiologic technologist, a medical professional who is also sometime...
What is an extremity X-ray?
An extremity x-ray is a picture of the internal structures in one of your extremities -- your hand, ...
What is computed tomographic colonography?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Computed tomographic (CT) colonography (virtual colonoscopy) is a procedure that uses CT images to p...
What is an x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
X-rays use invisible electromagnetic energy beams to produce images of internal tissues, bones, ...