What should I ask my doctor about having a chest x-ray?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having a chest x-ray. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.
  • What are the possible benefits for me of having a chest x-ray?
  • What are my individual risks from having a chest x-ray?
  • How much radiation will I be exposed to during the test?
  • What happens next if the chest x-ray shows something that needs further examination?

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What happens during a chest x-ray?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
A chest x-ray is a radiology exam which takes an x-ray picture of the contents of your chest. It sho...
Are x-rays used to diagnose osteoarthritis?
X-rays are often used to help diagnose osteoarthritis (OA). An x-ray image can show narrowing of...
What is an angiogram?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A diagnostic cardiac catheterization test, also called an angiogram, is performed when it is thought...
What is an abdominal x-ray?
An abdominal x-ray is an x-ray of the organs inside the abdomen. An x-ray is a type of radiation tha...