What is the difference between radial and femoral angiography?

Dr. John C. Lipman, MD
Vascular & Interventional Radiologist

Angiography is the study of arteries and/or veins. Femoral and radial angiography refer to the point of entry in the body where the procedure is performed. For femoral angiography the site of entry is typically the right common femoral artery, although either can be used. For radial angiography, the entry point is the radial artery and depending on the type and location of the target organ to be studied, the left or right artery can be used. For blood vessels being studied below the diaphragm, the left radial artery is standard due to anatomic considerations.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What is an abdominal x-ray?
An abdominal x-ray is an x-ray of the organs inside the abdomen. An x-ray is a type of radiation tha...
How are x-rays used to diagnose knee and hip problems?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
A standard x-ray, the most commonly used imaging technique, gives a two-dimensional picture of t...
What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...
How do X-rays affect the body during interventional radiology procedures?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
X-ray radiation is occurring all the time as a part of the natural background radiation in our envir...