What happens before a chest x-ray?

A chest x-ray is a type of diagnostic radiology procedure used to examine the chest and the organs and structures located in the chest. Before the procedure:
  • The physician will explain the procedure to you and offer you the opportunity to ask any questions that you might have about the procedure.
  • Generally, no prior preparation, such as fasting or sedation, is required.
  • Notify the radiologic technologist if you are pregnant or suspect that you may be pregnant.
  • Dress in clothes that permit access to the area to be tested or that are easily removed.
  • Notify the radiologic technologist if you have any body piercing on your chest.
  • Based upon your medical condition, your physician may request other specific preparation.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What is a spine x-ray?
Spine x-rays are pictures of the bones of the spine that are used to diagnose diseases or to view th...
What can I expect during a barium enema x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
At the time of a barium enema examination (an x-ray procedure to examine the lower gastrointesti...
How can x-ray help diagnose a spinal cord injury?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
X-rays are used primarily to assess bone integrity, not to diagnose a spinal cord injury. They can o...
How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.