What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.

• What information do you hope to gain from the angiogram?
  • What potential benefits may an angiogram have for me?
  • What are the alternatives to having an angiogram?
  • What risks can I expect from undergoing an angiogram?
  • Do I need to have an empty stomach before the procedure?
  • Should I withhold any of my medications? Are there any medications that I will need to take?
  • How will you enter my body to perform the angiogram? (Common entry sites are the artery in the groin or the artery in the wrist.)
  • How much radiation will I be exposed to during the angiogram?
  • What will happen if a blockage is discovered?
  • Will I have limitations after the procedure? Will I need to have someone who can drive me home?

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Why might my baby need an X-ray in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
An x-ray is the most common type of imaging scan. An x-ray can show the condition of the lungs a...
How does an x-ray work?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Plain film radiography unifies principles of photography, anatomy, and x-ray production. X-rays ...
What is a spine x-ray?
Spine x-rays are pictures of the bones of the spine that are used to diagnose diseases or to view th...
What is an extremity X-ray?
An extremity x-ray is a picture of the internal structures in one of your extremities -- your hand, ...