Is it safe to have a chest x-ray?

Medical tests, including chest x-rays, should not be ordered unless they can provide information that is not available through simpler, safer methods. While the exposure to radiation (including x-rays) is worthy of concern, the amount of radiation exposure in a chest x-ray is minimal. A few x-rays a year is not believed to cause harm. However, if you are pregnant, notify your doctor. X-rays are not typically performed on pregnant patients because of the risk to the baby.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.
What can I expect during a barium enema x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
At the time of a barium enema examination (an x-ray procedure to examine the lower gastrointesti...
What is an angiogram?
A diagnostic cardiac catheterization test, also called an angiogram, is performed when it is thought...
Why might my baby need an X-ray in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
An x-ray is the most common type of imaging scan. An x-ray can show the condition of the lungs a...