How should I prepare for an angiogram?

Your cardiologist or nurse practitioner will offer instructions on how to prepare for the angiogram.
  • If you take medications, such as blood thinners or drugs to manage diabetes, consult with your cardiologist about whether you should stop taking them before the angiogram.
  • You will be asked not to eat or drink anything for several hours before the procedure.
  • Your blood count, kidney function and blood clotting tests may be performed beforehand.
  • You will receive medications to help you relax before the procedure begins.
Having an angiogram requires a visit to a hospital to a special room called the catheterization laboratory, or “cath lab.” The cath lab is equipped with an x-ray camera and a TV monitor (screen) on which the cardiologist views your heart and arteries.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Are x-rays used to diagnose osteoarthritis?
X-rays are often used to help diagnose osteoarthritis (OA). An x-ray image can show narrowing of...
Who performs the chest x-ray test?
A chest x-ray is performed by a radiologic technologist, a medical professional who is also sometime...
What is an extremity X-ray?
An extremity x-ray is a picture of the internal structures in one of your extremities -- your hand, ...
Why might my baby need an X-ray in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
An x-ray is the most common type of imaging scan. An x-ray can show the condition of the lungs a...