How should I prepare for an angiogram?

Your cardiologist or nurse practitioner will offer instructions on how to prepare for the angiogram.
  • If you take medications, such as blood thinners or drugs to manage diabetes, consult with your cardiologist about whether you should stop taking them before the angiogram.
  • You will be asked not to eat or drink anything for several hours before the procedure.
  • Your blood count, kidney function and blood clotting tests may be performed beforehand.
  • You will receive medications to help you relax before the procedure begins.
Having an angiogram requires a visit to a hospital to a special room called the catheterization laboratory, or “cath lab.” The cath lab is equipped with an x-ray camera and a TV monitor (screen) on which the cardiologist views your heart and arteries.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...
Does radiation pass through the walls of radiology rooms?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
The radiation emitted in medical procedures has a limited range and duration of effect, and the exte...
What is an x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
X-rays use invisible electromagnetic energy beams to produce images of internal tissues, bones, ...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...