What are the risks of a chest x-ray?

You may want to ask your physician about the amount of radiation used during a chest x-ray and the risks related to your particular situation. It is a good idea to keep a record of your past history of radiation exposure, such as previous scans and other types of x-rays, so that you can inform your physician. Risks associated with radiation exposure may be related to the cumulative number of x-ray examinations and/or treatments over a long period of time.

If you are pregnant or suspect that you may be pregnant, you should notify your physician. Radiation exposure during pregnancy may lead to birth defects.

There may be other risks depending upon your specific medical condition. Be sure to discuss any concerns with your physician prior to the procedure.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Why might my baby need an X-ray in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
An x-ray is the most common type of imaging scan. An x-ray can show the condition of the lungs a...
Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?
SCAISCAI
Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms a...
What is defecography?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Defecography is an x-ray of the anorectal area that evaluates completeness of stool elimination, ide...
When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...