Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?

Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms are one example. These diagnostic tests rely on a special type of X-ray dye to help your physician gather images of your blood vessels and identify any life-threatening blockages.

It is possible to be allergic to the contrast dye. If you have a known allergy to shellfish, iodine or X-ray dye, you should let your physician know. The contrast dye typically used during the angiogram procedure contains iodine. Some patients may have a minor reaction to the X-ray dye, such as a skin rash or itching. The chance of a life-threatening reaction to the dye is very small.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...
How does an X-ray machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
An X-ray machine is basically just a camera. Where a camera uses visible light, however, an X-ray ma...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...
What is a skull X-ray?
A skull x-ray is a series of pictures of the bones that surround the brain, including the facial bon...