Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?

Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms are one example. These diagnostic tests rely on a special type of X-ray dye to help your physician gather images of your blood vessels and identify any life-threatening blockages.

It is possible to be allergic to the contrast dye. If you have a known allergy to shellfish, iodine or X-ray dye, you should let your physician know. The contrast dye typically used during the angiogram procedure contains iodine. Some patients may have a minor reaction to the X-ray dye, such as a skin rash or itching. The chance of a life-threatening reaction to the dye is very small.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Are x-rays used to diagnose osteoarthritis?
X-rays are often used to help diagnose osteoarthritis (OA). An x-ray image can show narrowing of...
What is a sinus X-ray?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Also known as radiographs or roentgenograms, sinus x-ray tests may be done in the office or at a hos...
How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.
How does an X-ray machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
An X-ray machine is basically just a camera. Where a camera uses visible light, however, an X-ray ma...