Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?

Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms are one example. These diagnostic tests rely on a special type of X-ray dye to help your physician gather images of your blood vessels and identify any life-threatening blockages.

It is possible to be allergic to the contrast dye. If you have a known allergy to shellfish, iodine or X-ray dye, you should let your physician know. The contrast dye typically used during the angiogram procedure contains iodine. Some patients may have a minor reaction to the X-ray dye, such as a skin rash or itching. The chance of a life-threatening reaction to the dye is very small.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What can I expect during a barium enema x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
At the time of a barium enema examination (an x-ray procedure to examine the lower gastrointesti...
What is a facial X-ray?
A facial x-ray is a series of pictures of the bones in the face. X-rays are a type of electromagneti...
What is the difference between radial and femoral angiography?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Angiography is the study of arteries and/or veins. Femoral and radial angiography refer to the point...
What happens during a chest x-ray?
A chest x-ray is a radiology exam which takes an x-ray picture of the contents of your chest. It sho...