What women's health services must be completely covered by insurance?

Health insurance plans must cover the following list of preventive services for women without charging a copayment or coinsurance. These services are free only when delivered by a doctor or other provider in the insurance plan’s network.

Covered preventive services for women:

• breast cancer genetic test counseling (BRCA) for women at higher risk
  • breast cancer mammography screenings every one to two years for women over 40
  • breast cancer chemoprevention counseling for women at higher risk
  • cervical cancer screening for sexually active women
  • domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling for all women
  • HIV screening and counseling for sexually active women
  • human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA test every three years for women with normal cytology results who are 30 or older
  • osteoporosis screening for women over age 60 depending on risk factors
  • Rh incompatibility screening follow-up testing for women at higher risk
  • sexually transmitted infections screening and counseling
  • tobacco use screening and interventions
  • well-woman visits to get recommended services for women under 65

Services for pregnant women or women who may become pregnant:

• anemia screening on a routine basis
  • breastfeeding comprehensive support and counseling from trained providers, and access to breastfeeding supplies, for pregnant and nursing women
  • folic acid supplements for women who may become pregnant
  • gestational diabetes screening for women 24 to 28 weeks pregnant and those at high risk of developing gestational diabetes
  • hepatitis B screening for pregnant women at their first prenatal visit
  • Rh incompatibility screening for all pregnant women and follow-up testing for women at higher risk
  • expanded tobacco intervention and counseling for pregnant tobacco users
  • urinary tract or other infection screening

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site.  In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
When we think of muscles, we think of Popeye, not twiggy Olive Oyl. But building and maintaining muscle mass is even more important for women. We all ...
How can I predict when I will ovulate?
To predict when you will ovulate, you must first know the length of your usual menstrual cycle. Keep...
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
Let’s set the record straight on how mammograms work, when you should get one and what to expect.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?