What is the Women's Health Initiative?

The Women's Health Initiative (WHI) was established in 1992 to address the most common causes of death, disability and impaired quality of life in postmenopausal women. These include cardiovascular disease, cancer and osteoporosis. It was a 15-year long prevention study. It included a randomized controlled clinical trial, observational study and study of communty approaches to developing healthful behaviors. The randomized controlled clinical trial looked at promising, but unproven, approaches to prevention: hormone therapy, dietary modification and calcium/vitamin D supplementation.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

7 Foods Every Woman Must Eat
7 Foods Every Woman Must Eat
Here's good-food news: The more you munch on healthy eats, the less you need to worry about Friday night's fat burger and fries. Who says? Harvard. It...
Should I consider seeing a doctor if I notice changes in my breasts?
St. Mary Medical CenterSt. Mary Medical Center
Things that change hormone levels will change your breasts, and so a lot of women will notice change...
8 Essential Health Screenings for Women
8 Essential Health Screenings for Women8 Essential Health Screenings for Women8 Essential Health Screenings for Women8 Essential Health Screenings for Women
Don't sit on the sidelines. Play an active role in protecting your health.
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?