What is the Women's Health Initiative?

The Women's Health Initiative (WHI) was established in 1992 to address the most common causes of death, disability and impaired quality of life in postmenopausal women. These include cardiovascular disease, cancer and osteoporosis. It was a 15-year long prevention study. It included a randomized controlled clinical trial, observational study and study of communty approaches to developing healthful behaviors. The randomized controlled clinical trial looked at promising, but unproven, approaches to prevention: hormone therapy, dietary modification and calcium/vitamin D supplementation.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

7 Weight Loss Challenges and Tips for Women
Men and women were created equal, but they are different. Especially when it comes to weight loss. Women face some unique challenges in getting the ba...
How can I know if I'm ready to have a child?
There's no bigger decision than when—or whether—to have children. In this video, clinical psycho...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
Your vagina has incredible healing powers.
2 Hidden Reasons for Your Bloat
2 Hidden Reasons for Your Bloat