What is urogynecology?

Urogynecology, a subspecialty within OB-GYN, focuses on the diagnosis and the medical and surgical treatment of female urinary disorders and pelvic floor dysfunction. Urogynecologists treat conditions such as urinary or fecal incontinence, emptying disorders (difficulty with urinating or moving the bowels), pelvic or bladder pain, overactive bladder (including the frequent need to void, bladder pressure and urgency), pelvic organ prolapse (descent of the vagina, bladder and/or uterus from the normal position), and sexual dysfunction. Urogynecologists are trained in minimally invasive reconstructive surgical techniques.

If your doctor says you must have a large abdominal incision for a pelvic problem or even a hysterectomy, you may want to see a urogynecologist for a second opinion.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Urogynecology is also known as female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. This is a subspecialty within obstetrics and gynecology that is dedicated to treating patients with pelvic floor disorders such as urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Busy Woman's Guide: How to Wear High Heels Pain-free
The higher the heel, the closer to God, I say. My husband (an orthopedic surgeon), on the other hand, says the solution to high heel pain is to not we...
What are some causes of breast pain?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Likely causes of breast pain are: Fibrocystic changes in the breast tissue, which can cause the b...
Are My Boobs Normal?
Are My Boobs Normal?Are My Boobs Normal?Are My Boobs Normal?Are My Boobs Normal?
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?