What is urogynecology?

Urogynecology is also known as female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. This is a subspecialty within obstetrics and gynecology that is dedicated to treating patients with pelvic floor disorders such as urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.

Urogynecology, a subspecialty within OB-GYN, focuses on the diagnosis and the medical and surgical treatment of female urinary disorders and pelvic floor dysfunction. Urogynecologists treat conditions such as urinary or fecal incontinence, emptying disorders (difficulty with urinating or moving the bowels), pelvic or bladder pain, overactive bladder (including the frequent need to void, bladder pressure and urgency), pelvic organ prolapse (descent of the vagina, bladder and/or uterus from the normal position), and sexual dysfunction. Urogynecologists are trained in minimally invasive reconstructive surgical techniques.

If your doctor says you must have a large abdominal incision for a pelvic problem or even a hysterectomy, you may want to see a urogynecologist for a second opinion.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

A Woman's Risk for Heart Attack or Stroke
Each year, more than one million Americans experience a heart attack. According to research published in the American Heart Association's online journ...
What role does the pituitary gland play in ovulation?
The pituitary gland is a tiny gland, located at the base of the brain, that produces and secretes ma...
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
While some vaginal aches and pains are totally normal, others need medical attention. Here’s how to tell the difference.
How Does My Body Image Affect My Self-Esteem?