What is the Eklund technique?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The Eklund technique has been devised for performing mammography on women with breast implants. This technique is called the "displacement view." Extra views and time are needed for this; therefore, patients should tell the scheduler prior to the appointment that they have breast implants, so extra time will be allotted. The displacement procedure normally involves pushing the implant back and pulling tissue into the view so that it can be compressed and mammograms can then be taken. Sometimes it is more difficult to perform the Eklund technique in women who have severe scar tissue or capsular contracture and women who have very dense or fibrous breasts. Implants placed above the muscle can also make it more difficult to determine microcalcifications. Scar tissue around the capsule can be difficult to differentiate from calcification, which could be associated with cancer and thereby require an actual biopsy.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

The Female Brain Unleashed
The Female Brain Unleashed
I have been surrounded by powerful women my whole life. Growing up, there were so many women in my life that when my mother brought my fifth sister, J...
What is the leading cause of death in women over age 40?
Dr. Kelly A. Spratt, DODr. Kelly A. Spratt, DO
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in women over age 40, especially in women experiencing m...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
What Causes Endometriosis?
What Causes Endometriosis?