What is a BI-RADS score?

BI-RADS is the system by which screening mammograms are read and coded. The radiologist reads the mammogram and codes it using BI-RADS. A BI-RADS 0 mammogram is incomplete and requires further radiographic views or ultrasound. A BI-RADS 1 mammogram is completely normal and requires no further work-up. A BI-RADS 2 reading is typically benign 98 percent of the time. A Bi-RADS 3 usually requires follow-up films at six months to assess any changes. If the mammogram remains stable, then no biopsy is required.

A biopsy is required if your mammogram receives a BI-RADS 4 reading. BI-RADS 4 means there is a 20-30 percent chance of cancer in the abnormality. The mammogram can suggest cancer but not diagnose cancer. Removal of tissue from the area of abnormality and then pathologic examination of the tissue is required for diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

When Should I Start Getting Mammograms?
When Should I Start Getting Mammograms?
In 2019 alone, the American Cancer Society estimates that more than 300,000 American women were diagnosed with breast cancer, and almost 42,000 died o...
As a mom, why does my hip hike up and to the right?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Well, that fact that you are a mom is one big hint for me. In studio I refer to this as “mom hip...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Causes Hot Flashes?