What is the areola?

Areola is a term generally used to describe the area of dark-colored skin on the breast that surrounds the nipple. Areola can also be used to describe other small circular areas, such as the area around an inflamed pimple.

The size and shape of the areola varies from person to person, but mature women for the most part have larger areolae than men and adolescents.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

What You Need to Know About Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Have you been afflicted with adult acne and irregular periods? The problem might be polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), an endocrine system disorder cau...
How common are ovulation problems?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
About 6.7 percent of married American women under age 45 have difficulty getting or staying pregnant...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
2 Hidden Reasons for Your Bloat
2 Hidden Reasons for Your Bloat