What should I do if my mammogram is negative?

A negative mammogram means that the radiologist did not see any abnormalities in the breast tissue on the films. In general, you should continue with monthly self-examinations, regular examinations by your doctor, and have another mammogram within a year or two, depending on the guidelines suggested by your age and your personal physician. However, if mammography was scheduled in order to evaluate a breast change noted during a physical examination, the radiologist or your doctor may recommend further testing (such as breast ultrasound) to evaluate and diagnose that finding.

Unfortunately, mammography is not a perfect test; it does not detect all breast cancers either palpable or nonpalpable. This is particularly true if your breast tissue is very dense. In this situation, a small percentage (5% to 10%) of cancers that can be felt on physical examination are not visible on mammograms. It is important not to ignore a new breast problem, such as a lump, even if you discover it shortly after a negative mammogram. Always notify your doctor in case another mammogram, a different test (such as a breast ultrasound), or referral to a physician who specializes in breast problems is necessary.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
What are some early disease detection recommendations for women?
Two major early detection tests for women are: Pap smear to test for cervical cancer mammogram...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
How Can Women Prevent Cardiovascular Disease?