What should I do if my mammogram is negative?

A negative mammogram means that the radiologist did not see any abnormalities in the breast tissue on the films. In general, you should continue with monthly self-examinations, regular examinations by your doctor, and have another mammogram within a year or two, depending on the guidelines suggested by your age and your personal physician. However, if mammography was scheduled in order to evaluate a breast change noted during a physical examination, the radiologist or your doctor may recommend further testing (such as breast ultrasound) to evaluate and diagnose that finding.

Unfortunately, mammography is not a perfect test; it does not detect all breast cancers either palpable or nonpalpable. This is particularly true if your breast tissue is very dense. In this situation, a small percentage (5% to 10%) of cancers that can be felt on physical examination are not visible on mammograms. It is important not to ignore a new breast problem, such as a lump, even if you discover it shortly after a negative mammogram. Always notify your doctor in case another mammogram, a different test (such as a breast ultrasound), or referral to a physician who specializes in breast problems is necessary.

Continue Learning about Women's Health