What should I do if I or my doctor detects a mass in my breast?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

If your doctor detects a mass in your breast, you should immediately undergo screening diagnostic testing.  A mass in the breast should never be ignored as this can be a sign of malignancy.  Mammograms are the first line of diagnosis.  In order to detect a fluid versus cystic mass, an ultrasound may also be required.  Benign masses can be determined on mammogram and ultrasounds by board-certified radiologists.  If, however, there is any suspicion with microcalcifications or enlarging size, the radiologist may require an MRI or a biopsy.  Biopsies can include fine-needle aspiration, Tru-Core biopsies or direct excisional biopsies by a surgeon.  It is very important that masses be diagnosed and, if necessary, tissue biopsies be determined in order to determine malignancy versus benign.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

4 Great Foods for Healthier Bones
4 Great Foods for Healthier Bones
Your body needs the right nutrients in the right amounts to maintain bone mass. You already know about calcium and vitamin D. But do you know about ot...
What women's health services must be completely covered by insurance?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Health insurance plans must cover the following list of preventive services for women without chargi...
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get the most out of your next OBGYN appointment with these expert tips.
Is Obesity Always a Risk Factor for Heart Disease?