What do a woman's hormones do to her eggs?

Hormones work to mature that ready-to-drop egg and to pop a hole in its sac. That hole works as an escape hatch, so the egg can slip out of the ovary and travel down the Fallopian tube, where it may be fertilized by sperm. Too little of these hormones may lead to infertility or miscarriage, while an abundance may lead to twins and other multiple sets. Tissue left behind in the ovary after the egg is released, called the corpus luteum, will produce hormones essential to successful pregnancy if the egg is fertilized.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Success Story: Sheila Turn
Success Story: Sheila Turn
Name: Sheila Turn Age: 61 Former RealAge: 69 Current RealAge: 53.5 Start weight: 300+ Current weight: 130 What was really killing me: The combination...
What are the benefits of 3D mammography?
Dr. Jennifer E. Rollenhagen, MDDr. Jennifer E. Rollenhagen, MD
Benefits of 3D mammography include the following:  3D mammography reduces the chances that women ...
11 Best Foods for a Woman’s Health
11 Best Foods for a Woman’s Health11 Best Foods for a Woman’s Health11 Best Foods for a Woman’s Health11 Best Foods for a Woman’s Health
Spinach during pregnancy, blueberries during perimenopause and other foods to eat as you age.
What Is an Estrogen Ring and How Can It Help with Vaginal Pain or Dryness?