What do a woman's hormones do to her eggs?

Hormones work to mature that ready-to-drop egg and to pop a hole in its sac. That hole works as an escape hatch, so the egg can slip out of the ovary and travel down the Fallopian tube, where it may be fertilized by sperm. Too little of these hormones may lead to infertility or miscarriage, while an abundance may lead to twins and other multiple sets. Tissue left behind in the ovary after the egg is released, called the corpus luteum, will produce hormones essential to successful pregnancy if the egg is fertilized.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women, Don’t Fall Into the Health Gap
Women, Don’t Fall Into the Health Gap
The film Suffragette traces British women’s struggle for equal rights, up until 1928 when women over 21 got the vote (it happened in 1920 in the US). ...
Why might I have depressed shoulders if I am a woman?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
For women, two issues in particular contribute to depressed shoulders. The first is an ill-fitting b...
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The unique ways women are affected by STIs, plus tips on prevention.
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?