What are the different types of mammograms?

There are two types of mammogram tests for the breast: film mammography and digital mammography.

Film mammography has been used for more than 35 years. The breast image is placed on x-ray film. This test is very reliable. The films are processed and read by the radiologist (doctor who reads x-rays). While film mammography is very good, women who have thick breast tissue may need digital mammography testing.

Digital mammography takes an electronic picture of the breast and stores it in a computer. This test does not use film. The pictures are sent to the radiologist electronically. The radiologist can magnify areas of the breast that need to be looked at further. The actual exam is done in the same way the film mammogram is done. Digital mammography is better for screening women who are premenopausal, under age 55, or who have thick breast tissue.

Different types of mammograms including 2D, screening and diagnostic, says Thelma Reeves, Director of Women's Diagnostics at West Hills Hospital & Medical Center. Learn more in this video.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Know When You Need a 3D Mammogram
I recently booked an appointment for my first-ever mammogram. During the call, I was offered the option of having a three-dimensional (3D) mammogram, ...
Can menopause cause heavy vaginal bleeding?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
No. By definition menopause is the complete cessation of menstrual bleeding for 12 consecutive month...
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The unique ways women are affected by STIs, plus tips on prevention.
Elizabeth Gilbert Shares the Secret to a Balanced Life