What is cervical fluid and what are its functions?

Cervical fluid is the secretion produced before ovulation that allows the sperm to reach the egg. In essence, fertile cervical fluid functions like seminal fluid: It provides an alkaline medium that protects the sperm in an otherwise acidic vagina. In addition, it provides nourishment for the sperm, acts as a filtering mechanism, and functions as a medium in which to move. After your period and directly under the influence of rising estrogen, your cervical fluid typically starts to become wetter and wetter as you approach ovulation. After your period ends, you may have several days of nothing, followed by cervical fluid that evolves from sticky to creamy and finally to clear, slippery, and stretchy, similar to raw egg white. You should also be aware that, as with temperature, there are certain factors that can mask or interfere with cervical fluid.

These include: Vaginal infection Seminal fluid Arousal fluid Spermicides and lubricants Antihistamines (which can dry it) Cough medicine (which can increase it)
Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

When Brazilians Backfire and Other Close Shave Hazards
Cameron Diaz caused a ruckus a while back when she wrote in The Body Book that women should avoid irreversible beauty trends like lasering off their p...
How is the excessive hair growth of PCOS treated?
To treat the excessive hair growth of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), an anti-androgen medication ...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
How Do I Know When My Razor Blade Needs to Be Replaced?