What causes dense breasts?

Doctors are fairly sure that fluctuating estrogen levels are the culprit behind dense breasts, particularly since premenopausal women (who have higher levels of estrogen) are more likely to have dense breasts than postmenopausal women. Also, postmenopausal hormone therapy can increase the density of a woman's breasts.

Plus, it seems that breast density changes during the menstrual cycle, becoming denser in the latter part of the cycle when estrogen levels are highest. Thus, if you have dense breasts, it's a good idea to schedule your mammogram during the first two weeks of your cycle.  

Continue Learning about Women's Health

What You Need to Know About Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Have you been afflicted with adult acne and irregular periods? The problem might be polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), an endocrine system disorder cau...
What are the limitations of mammograms for detecting breast cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
A mammogram cannot prove that an abnormal area is cancer. To confirm whether cancer is present, a sm...
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
Let’s set the record straight on how mammograms work, when you should get one and what to expect.
How Can I Heal My Negative Body-Image Issues?