What causes dense breasts?

Doctors are fairly sure that fluctuating estrogen levels are the culprit behind dense breasts, particularly since premenopausal women (who have higher levels of estrogen) are more likely to have dense breasts than postmenopausal women. Also, postmenopausal hormone therapy can increase the density of a woman's breasts.

Plus, it seems that breast density changes during the menstrual cycle, becoming denser in the latter part of the cycle when estrogen levels are highest. Thus, if you have dense breasts, it's a good idea to schedule your mammogram during the first two weeks of your cycle.  

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Walk Each Day to Lower Breast Cancer Risk
Nearly 300,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer for the first time every year. But it turns out that something as simple as walking could help k...
What is the treatment for thinning vaginal walls?
To check for thinning vaginal walls, take a handheld mirror, and observe the color inside the openin...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
Your vagina has incredible healing powers.
Why Is Little or No Sex Drive Something I Shouldn't Ignore?