What causes a dark brown vaginal discharge?

Dr. Heidi Fantasia
Nursing Specialist

Vaginal discharge without odor or discomfort can be normal. Many women will notice an increased vaginal discharge during the middle of their menstrual cycle when they are ovulating.

But vaginal discharge that is new or different and combined with another symptom such as pain or cramping should be evaluated by your healthcare provider. This may be caused by an infection that needs treatment.

Brown vaginal discharge is often old blood that has turned from red to a brown color. It is fairly common to see brown blood at the end of a menstrual period. If you are having brown bleeding or spotting that is not associated with your period you should discuss this with your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How Women Can Take Better Care of Their Heart Health
Maybe you’ve heard the alarming statistics concerning women’s heart health and gender differences in treatment and survival: 90 percent of women in th...
How are women affected by the pressure to conceive?
Good In BedGood In Bed
No matter how excited a woman is about the prospect of being pregnant, she can experience just as ma...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
Is Obesity Always a Risk Factor for Heart Disease?