What should I do if I can't afford an annual mammogram?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

The Affordable Care Act lists screening mammogram as a covered preventitive medical benefit. All insurance should cover the cost of mammogram without any copay or out of pocket cost to the woman. If you don't have insurance and can't obtain it, look for free medical clinics that can connect you to free services. The National Association of Free and Charitable Medical Clinics (www.nafcclinics.org) can help you find a clinic in your area.

Medicare covers annual screening mammograms. For elderly women, Medicare Part B provides a preventive service that includes annual mammogram coverage.

Cost should never be a deterrent to getting mammograms. If you do not have insurance, there are many clinics where you can get mammograms at reduced fees.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Bad Bones? On Your Feet
Bad Bones? On Your Feet
The risk of falls goes up pretty dramatically when you have weak bones and muscles. That's bad news, because a fall can easily lead to a bad break. An...
How can I predict when I will ovulate?
RESOLVE: The National Infertility AssociationRESOLVE: The National Infertility Association
One way of determining when you ovulate is to take your basal body temperature every morning and rec...
Things No One Tells You About Menopause
Things No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About Menopause
Hair in weird places, “menopause brain” and other wonders of the female body. 
Oz Five: Nene Leakes
Oz Five: Nene Leakes