What should I do if I can't afford an annual mammogram?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

The Affordable Care Act lists screening mammogram as a covered preventitive medical benefit. All insurance should cover the cost of mammogram without any copay or out of pocket cost to the woman. If you don't have insurance and can't obtain it, look for free medical clinics that can connect you to free services. The National Association of Free and Charitable Medical Clinics (www.nafcclinics.org) can help you find a clinic in your area.

Medicare covers annual screening mammograms. For elderly women, Medicare Part B provides a preventive service that includes annual mammogram coverage.

Cost should never be a deterrent to getting mammograms. If you do not have insurance, there are many clinics where you can get mammograms at reduced fees.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.