What should I do if I can't afford an annual mammogram?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

The Affordable Care Act lists screening mammogram as a covered preventitive medical benefit. All insurance should cover the cost of mammogram without any copay or out of pocket cost to the woman. If you don't have insurance and can't obtain it, look for free medical clinics that can connect you to free services. The National Association of Free and Charitable Medical Clinics (www.nafcclinics.org) can help you find a clinic in your area.

Medicare covers annual screening mammograms. For elderly women, Medicare Part B provides a preventive service that includes annual mammogram coverage.

Cost should never be a deterrent to getting mammograms. If you do not have insurance, there are many clinics where you can get mammograms at reduced fees.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
How do I prepare for a mammogram?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
You can prepare for a mammogram by seeing an OBGYN regularly to become more comfortable, and have pr...
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
Skipping a menstrual cycle doesn’t always mean you’re expecting. 
Elizabeth Gilbert Shares the Secret to a Balanced Life