What are breasts composed of?

Breasts are glands contained within the front of the chest wall. The average breast weighs between seven and 10 ounces and is primarily composed of 12 to 20 lobes that spread out from the nipple like the spokes in a bicycle tire. These triangular lobes each have one central duct that opens at the nipple, through which milk exits.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Slut-Shaming Hurts Women—So Why Don’t We Stop It Already?
Slut-shaming is judging, harassing or bullying someone for their perceived promiscuity or the way they show their sexuality. It can be blatant and cal...
Can I have PCOS even if my ovaries have been removed?
You can still have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) even if your ovaries have been removed because P...
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
Let’s set the record straight on how mammograms work, when you should get one and what to expect.
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?