What happens if breast calcifications show up on my mammogram?

If calcifications show up on your mammogram:
  • The radiologist will make note of the number of calcifications, along with their size and shape, in your mammogram report.
  • The radiologist will want to take a closer look at the calcifications and may ask for more pictures to get enlarged views.
  • If the calcifications form a pattern that could mean possible cancer, you may need to have a biopsy. In a biopsy, a sample of tissue is removed and sent to the lab for further study under a microscope.
  • If the radiologist believes the calcifications are probably benign, you may be asked to have another mammogram in six months.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

8 Things to Know Before You Get a Mammogram
We read the clever slogans. We wear the pink ribbons. We donate to the fundraisers. And yet, despite our booming breast cancer awareness, a sizeable p...
What role does the pituitary gland play in ovulation?
The pituitary gland is a tiny gland, located at the base of the brain, that produces and secretes ma...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
When Is It Time to See a Doctor for Urinary Incontinence?