What happens if breast calcifications show up on my mammogram?

If calcifications show up on your mammogram:
  • The radiologist will make note of the number of calcifications, along with their size and shape, in your mammogram report.
  • The radiologist will want to take a closer look at the calcifications and may ask for more pictures to get enlarged views.
  • If the calcifications form a pattern that could mean possible cancer, you may need to have a biopsy. In a biopsy, a sample of tissue is removed and sent to the lab for further study under a microscope.
  • If the radiologist believes the calcifications are probably benign, you may be asked to have another mammogram in six months.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Long Work Hours Harms Women’s Health
Long Work Hours Harms Women’s Health
Mia Hamm dominated women’s soccer between 1987 and 2004. Then in 2007, she had twin girls and in 2012, a son. “Life off the field has been just as dem...
What should I do if I or my doctor detects a mass in my breast?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
If your doctor detects a mass in your breast, you should immediately undergo screening diagnostic te...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
Is There a Screening Test for Ovarian Cancer?