What are vaginal lubricants?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Vaginal dryness is widely prevalent among aging women, and is a notorious libido killer. The common treatment, petroleum-based lubricant, is often gloppy and sticky. A silicone lubricant is a slicker alternative to dealing with dryness. It’s less messy and lasts longer. With prices starting as low as $10, this is a simple and affordable solution.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Vaginal lubricants are available over-the-counter and come in a variety of forms that can be used for immediate relief of vaginal dryness during intercourse. Vaginal dryness is most common in postmenopausal women, although it can happen at any age.

Vaginal lubricants can immediately treat vaginal dryness for several hours after application. They come in several forms: water-based, silicone-based and oil-based. Oil-based lubricants should not be used with condoms, as they can deteriorate the latex the condom is made of. Examples of brand name vaginal lubricants include Astroglide and K-Y jelly.

Before using a vaginal lubricant, consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not use a vaginal lubricant if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients on the label. Making your own lubricant out of household substances such as petroleum jelly or cooking oil is not recommended, as they have been known to deteriorate condoms and cause bacterial infections in the vagina.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women and the Obesity Epidemic: What the Latest Numbers Reveal
The average American woman now wears a Misses size 16-18, or a Woman’s plus size 20, according to a study published in the International Journal of Fa...
Why is it so easy for women over 40 to gain weight?
After turning 40, most women need to eat much less and move more to maintain the weight they had whe...
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The unique ways women are affected by STIs, plus tips on prevention.
How Will I Know If I'm Approaching Labor?