What are the labia minora?

The labia minora are the hairless, thin, inner lips of the vulva. After puberty, estrogen makes them pink and moist. When estrogen levels fall to persistently low levels after menopause, the labia minora become pale and may actually shrink. Some women develop painful cracks, or fissures, in the delicate skin between the labia majora and the labia minora, or at the bottom of the vaginal opening.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
What is the meaning of girl power?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
A clever advertising tactic that has become mainstream is to manipulate the message that many femini...
Most Women Die From These 10 Health Issues
Most Women Die From These 10 Health IssuesMost Women Die From These 10 Health IssuesMost Women Die From These 10 Health IssuesMost Women Die From These 10 Health Issues
Here's how to avoid the top 10 deadliest conditions for U.S. women.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Leafy Greens?