What are the labia minora?

The labia minora are the hairless, thin, inner lips of the vulva. After puberty, estrogen makes them pink and moist. When estrogen levels fall to persistently low levels after menopause, the labia minora become pale and may actually shrink. Some women develop painful cracks, or fissures, in the delicate skin between the labia majora and the labia minora, or at the bottom of the vaginal opening.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Lose That Over-40 Belly Fat Fast
Lose That Over-40 Belly Fat Fast
Got a belly bulge that won't budge? A pooch that won't vamoose? Are all the drop-5-pounds-fast tricks that used to work for you increasingly useless? ...
How effective is mammography for breast cancer screening?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
Mammography is the most useful tool when it comes to breast cancer screening.
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
Why Should I Accept My Size If I Want a Healthy Relationship With My Body?