What are the labia majora?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
The outer lips (labia majora) are the fleshy folds of skin, fat tissue, and smooth muscle that enclose the vaginal opening. Pubic hair, which may be plentiful or sparse depending on the individual, grows along the outer edges of the labia.

The outer, hair-covered genital lips are called the labia majora. They are mounds of fatty tissue covered by normal, hair-bearing skin. Before puberty, the labia majora are hairless and nearly flat. When estrogen, progesterone, and androgens are produced at puberty, the labia majora develop fatty tissue and hair. When hormone levels are low for a prolonged length of time, the labia majora may become flatter, or lax, with less hair. This is a sign of atrophy, or thinning, of the genital tissue.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Know When You Need a 3D Mammogram
I recently booked an appointment for my first-ever mammogram. During the call, I was offered the option of having a three-dimensional (3D) mammogram, ...
What questions should I ask my healthcare provider about PCOS?
If you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) you should ask your healthcare provider the following q...
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
While some vaginal aches and pains are totally normal, others need medical attention. Here’s how to tell the difference.
Can Fibroids Be Seen on Ultrasound?
Can Fibroids Be Seen on Ultrasound?