Are all sperm competing to fertilize the egg?

When a man ejaculates, the sperm-carrying semen fires out through the urethra in a seek-and-conquer mission. It may seem that all these millions of sperm are racing each other to the finish, but the sperm have different roles. Some are deemed the leaders of the pack, trying to be the first to cross the line. Others are designed to assist, specifically by blocking other men's sperm from making it to the finish line. The goal of pregnancy, of course, is for a sperm to find an egg during a precise window of opportunity and fertilize it.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Long Work Hours Harms Women’s Health
Long Work Hours Harms Women’s Health
Mia Hamm dominated women’s soccer between 1987 and 2004. Then in 2007, she had twin girls and in 2012, a son. “Life off the field has been just as dem...
What role does the pituitary gland play in ovulation?
The pituitary gland is a tiny gland, located at the base of the brain, that produces and secretes ma...
Most Women Die From These 10 Health Issues
Most Women Die From These 10 Health IssuesMost Women Die From These 10 Health IssuesMost Women Die From These 10 Health IssuesMost Women Die From These 10 Health Issues
Here's how to avoid the top 10 deadliest conditions for U.S. women.
Does Your Face Flush After Drinking Alcohol?