Are all sperm competing to fertilize the egg?

When a man ejaculates, the sperm-carrying semen fires out through the urethra in a seek-and-conquer mission. It may seem that all these millions of sperm are racing each other to the finish, but the sperm have different roles. Some are deemed the leaders of the pack, trying to be the first to cross the line. Others are designed to assist, specifically by blocking other men's sperm from making it to the finish line. The goal of pregnancy, of course, is for a sperm to find an egg during a precise window of opportunity and fertilize it.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Does Deodorant Cause Breast Cancer?
Does Deodorant Cause Breast Cancer?
Have you heard the rumor that deodorants and antiperspirants cause breast cancer? More importantly -- is it true? An alarming message about deodorant...
Can polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) be prevented?
There is no known way to prevent polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). However, if a woman has PCOS ther...
Things No One Tells You About Menopause
Things No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About Menopause
Hair in weird places, “menopause brain” and other wonders of the female body. 
Blanca Cobb Explains the S.O.R.R.Y. Plan