Should I be worried if my nipples change color?

A patient should see her doctor if her nipples change color. It may not be cause for alarm; however, a change in color can indicate something more serious.

Nipples do change color and become hyper-pigmented. This can occur with pregnancy (the theory is that it makes it easier for infants to know where to nurse).

In addition to changing color, the areolas can also stretch—which is usually permanent. Just keep in mind that any change in the breast, including the nipple or the skin around the nipple that is different from one side to the other should always be looked at and evaluated.

Most women don’t need to worry if their nipples change color. Women's nipples usually get darker as they get older, especially after a pregnancy. If your nipples are pink or light brown and are the same on both sides, they are probably normal. If the two look different colors, or have red or white spots on them, you should see your gynecologist for a breast exam.

Dr. Jennifer Z. Landa, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

You should not worry if your nipples change color, it's common; hormonal changes that occur with pregnancy and menopause can trigger it. Watch sexual health expert Jen Landa, MD, explain these factors and discuss when you should be concerned.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Get Relief for Heavy Periods
How to Get Relief for Heavy Periods
Very heavy periods—the kind that bring excessive bleeding or a frequent need to change tampons or pads—can be a real distraction from and interruption...
How should I monitor my breast health?
Dr. Amanda J. Morehouse, MDDr. Amanda J. Morehouse, MD
If you're pre-menopausal, the best time to do a breast self-exam is about a week after your period s...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
What Effect Does Inflammation Have on the Body?