Should I be worried if my nipples change color?

Discoloration of the nipples does not always warrant concern, it depends on the context and the presence of associated symptoms. Watch this video with gynecologist Arunachalam Jothivijayarani, MD from Blake Medical Center to learn more.
Most women don’t need to worry if their nipples change color. Women's nipples usually get darker as they get older, especially after a pregnancy. If your nipples are pink or light brown and are the same on both sides, they are probably normal. If the two look different colors, or have red or white spots on them, you should see your gynecologist for a breast exam. 

Nipples do change color and become hyper-pigmented. This can occur with pregnancy (the theory is that it makes it easier for infants to know where to nurse).

In addition to changing color, the areolas can also stretch -- which is usually permanent. Just keep in mind that any change in the breast, including the nipple or the skin around the nipple that is different from one side to the other should always be looked at and evaluated
Jennifer Landa, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

You should not worry if your nipples change color, it's common; hormonal changes that occur with pregnancy and menopause can trigger it. Watch sexual health expert Jen Landa, MD, explain these factors and discuss when you should be concerned.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.