Should I be tested for diabetes if I have PCOS?

HealthyWomen
Administration Specialist

You should be tested for diabetes if you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) due to the link between insulin abnormalities and PCOS. In fact, every woman diagnosed with PCOS should have a glucose tolerance test to check for prediabetes or diabetes. Insulin levels may also be checked to assess for hyperinsulinemia, as a sign of insulin resistance. A two-hour glucose tolerance test, where you drink a sugary solution and your blood is drawn before and one and two hours afterward, is best for testing women with PCOS. If you have diabetes, it is important to begin treatment and monitoring early to avoid complications.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.