Should I be tested for diabetes if I have PCOS?

You should be tested for diabetes if you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) due to the link between insulin abnormalities and PCOS. In fact, every woman diagnosed with PCOS should have a glucose tolerance test to check for prediabetes or diabetes. Insulin levels may also be checked to assess for hyperinsulinemia, as a sign of insulin resistance. A two-hour glucose tolerance test, where you drink a sugary solution and your blood is drawn before and one and two hours afterward, is best for testing women with PCOS. If you have diabetes, it is important to begin treatment and monitoring early to avoid complications.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

What It Feels Like to Have Endometriosis
Imagine how it’d feel to have 100 sharp knives piercing your abdomen. Bleeding heavily, not knowing when it’ll end. Feeling so fatigued that everyday ...
Can I have a mammogram if I have breast implants?
Stacy ContrerasStacy Contreras
You can get a mammogram if you have implants, no matter if the implants are silicone or saline. Watc...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
Your vagina has incredible healing powers.
Can You Diagnose Endometriosis Without a Laparoscopy?