What role does the pituitary gland play in ovulation?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

The pituitary gland is a tiny gland, located at the base of the brain, that produces and secretes many hormones—including those involved in ovulation such as luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulation hormone (FSH). Watch the animation to learn more about the pituitary gland and ovulation.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Symptoms of Thyroid Problems
Symptoms of Thyroid Problems
Do you know what your thyroid does? Do you know where it is in your body? For many people, the location and purpose of this important little gland, wh...
How is digital mammography different from a mammogram?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Mammography continues to be the best screening method available for breast cancer. Improvements in i...
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
Skipping a menstrual cycle doesn’t always mean you’re expecting. 
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?