Is it normal for female hormone levels to fluctuate?

It's normal for female hormone levels to fluctuate from time to time. For example, female hormone levels fluctuate before and after a period, as well as pregnancy and menopause. But sometimes they get out of balance, throwing the body out of whack. Even a small shift can cause big problems. The ebb and flow of hormones can be the cause of weight gain or loss, mood highs or lows, and many other functions of your cells and organs like your kidneys, muscles and heart. 

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Know When You Need a 3D Mammogram
I recently booked an appointment for my first-ever mammogram. During the call, I was offered the option of having a three-dimensional (3D) mammogram, ...
Do I have to take birth control pills if I have PCOS?
For women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), birth control pills are frequently prescribed to re...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
Your vagina has incredible healing powers.
What Is the Recovery Time for Traditional or Open Hysterectomy?