As a mom, why does my hip hike up and to the right?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Well, that fact that you are a mom is one big hint for me. In studio I refer to this as “mom hip syndrome”. Both of my kids lived on my right hip for years! It is a constant practice for me to work towards bringing my hips and low back to balance. This “syndrome” is not limited to parents. It is very common. Our hips are meant to be level and square with a neural spine. But, life (like being a mom) takes us out of balance. A simple way you can start to level out your hips is to focus on your feet and weighting both legs evenly while you stand. While standing in line or talking to someone in the office, notice if you are weighting one leg more than the other and jutting your hip out. If you are still holding children, be aware of which side you favor and make an effort to hold them in other ways. Work on drawing up from the core as you weight your feet evenly and stand taller. This will help!

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Hidden Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
Hidden Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
As a woman, you may feel that a heart attack is not the greatest risk you face. But the threat is very real, especially in the years leading up to and...
How is a mammogram done if I have breast implants?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
A mammogram for someone with breast implants involves two additional views.
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get the most out of your next OBGYN appointment with these expert tips.
What Are Kegel Exercises?
What Are Kegel Exercises?