Is it possible to have a period without ovulating?

Mary Chappell
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

A period is defined as the withdrawal bleed after ovulation. So the answer to your question is no. But remember, blood coming out of your vagina does not equal a period. Women with PCOS don't ovulate sometimes for many months and then bleed erratically due to overabundance of endometrial tissue. That doesn't mean they ovulated. Sometimes the birth control pill can thin your uterine lining so much you have break through bleeding on the pill. That is NOT a period either even though patients will say “I’m having 2 periods a month on this pill". Not correct use of the word period.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

When Should I Start Getting Mammograms?
When Should I Start Getting Mammograms?
In 2019 alone, the American Cancer Society estimates that more than 300,000 American women were diagnosed with breast cancer, and almost 42,000 died o...
How can I know if I'm ovulating?
The simplest way to learn if you're ovulating is with a home ovulation predictor kit, easily availab...
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe7 Mammogram Myths You Might Still Believe
Let’s set the record straight on how mammograms work, when you should get one and what to expect.
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?