How will a mammogram feel?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
As someone who has had many mammograms, I feel qualified to discuss how it feels. In some ways it depends on the person who is doing the test. Some technicians can be rough. In order to get good views, your breasts get a bit squished between two plates in various positions. It can be uncomfortable but should NEVER be painful. If you feel pain, speak up. The small amount of discomfort is worth the information that is achieved.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a mammogram will feel uncomfortable for most women, and it may be painful for some women. To quote the CDC: “What you feel depends on the skill of the technologist, the size of your breasts, and how much they need to be pressed. Your breasts may be more sensitive if you are about to get or have your period.”

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Does High Blood Pressure Increase Dementia Risk for Women?
As we make our way into midlife, many of us experience changes in our cardiovascular health. One of the most common conditions we may develop is hyper...
What are breasts composed of?
Breasts are glands contained within the front of the chest wall. The average breast weighs between s...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
How Will I Know If I'm Approaching Labor?