How will a mammogram feel?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
As someone who has had many mammograms, I feel qualified to discuss how it feels. In some ways it depends on the person who is doing the test. Some technicians can be rough. In order to get good views, your breasts get a bit squished between two plates in various positions. It can be uncomfortable but should NEVER be painful. If you feel pain, speak up. The small amount of discomfort is worth the information that is achieved.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a mammogram will feel uncomfortable for most women, and it may be painful for some women. To quote the CDC: “What you feel depends on the skill of the technologist, the size of your breasts, and how much they need to be pressed. Your breasts may be more sensitive if you are about to get or have your period.”

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Why Is My Period So Heavy?
Why Is My Period So Heavy?
Heavy or prolonged periods can be uncomfortable, but for some women they may be downright disabling, making it difficult to do everyday activities. In...
How are women affected by the pressure to conceive?
Good In BedGood In Bed
No matter how excited a woman is about the prospect of being pregnant, she can experience just as ma...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
Steps for How to Start Making a Change in Your Life