How soon can I expect to be pregnant when I start trying?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

A normal fertile couple, under the right circumstances, has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant in the first 12 months. When I counsel women on their fertility rate, it is important to give them realistic expectations.  I tell a patient that if she and her husband are fertile and they have intercourse at the absolute perfect time of her cycle, that their chance of becoming pregnant that month is 20%.  If they have perfect timed intercourse 3 months in a row, the chance of them becoming pregnant sometime in that 3 months is 50%.  If the same fertile couple has intercourse at the absolute perfect time of her cycle for 6 months in a row, their chance of becoming pregnant is 72%. 

You have about a 35 percent chance of getting pregnant within the first month of actively trying. If everything is working correctly, you have a 90 percent chance of conceiving within the first year of trying (and about 80 percent after six months). So my advice is that if you've been casually trying to get pregnant for six months and have been unsuccessful, get real serious about it over the next six months. After that, it's not a bad idea to see a fertility specialist to help you identify potential causes of infertility.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

The Female Brain Unleashed
The Female Brain Unleashed
I have been surrounded by powerful women my whole life. Growing up, there were so many women in my life that when my mother brought my fifth sister, J...
At what age should I start having mammograms?
Good Samaritan HospitalGood Samaritan Hospital
Women should start getting mammograms to screen for breast cancer at age 40.
13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
Yes, you can get pregnant on your period.
What Is the Rate of Heart Attacks for Women?