How are ovulation problems diagnosed?

Prior to ovulation, diagnostic tests are utilized to define the cause of the problem. These tests may include:
  • Basal body temperature charts
  • Ultrasound
  • Ovulation predictor urine tests
  • Progesterone levels
  • Endometrial biopsy
It is also necessary to rule out other causes of ovulatory problems by testing for thyroid, pituitary, or adrenal dysfunction. These glands are tested by a single blood sample on which hormonal tests can be run (TSH, Prolactin, DHEA-S). Other causes of ovulatory dysfunction that might be evaluated include polycystic ovary syndrome, ovarian failure, or hypothalamic dysfunction.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
When we think of muscles, we think of Popeye, not twiggy Olive Oyl. But building and maintaining muscle mass is even more important for women. We all ...
When is the best time of month to have a mammogram in relation to period?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
The week after your menstrual period is over is the best time to have a mammogram because it won’t b...
13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
Yes, you can get pregnant on your period.
If I Go on Birth Control to Treat Endometriosis, Will That Affect My Ability to Get Pregnant Later?