How does ovulation affect my body?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Prior to ovulation the dominant female hormone is estrogen. While estrogen production does continue after ovulation, the other female hormone, progesterone, becomes dominant. Some women notice different influences of this hormone. There may be more acne, fatigue, bloating, and even constipation. 

Ovulation means that your body has released a mature egg into the fallopian tube. At this point the egg can be fertilized by sperm, causing pregnancy. A woman is at her most fertile a few days before and immediately after ovulation. Levels of the hormone estrogen increase prior to ovulation, and the hormone progesterone increases at ovulation; these may dilate milk ducts and cause breasts to feel sore.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Busy Woman's Guide: How to Wear High Heels Pain-free
The higher the heel, the closer to God, I say. My husband (an orthopedic surgeon), on the other hand, says the solution to high heel pain is to not we...
Why might I have depressed shoulders if I am a woman?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
For women, two issues in particular contribute to depressed shoulders. The first is an ill-fitting b...
Things No One Tells You About Menopause
Things No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About Menopause
Hair in weird places, “menopause brain” and other wonders of the female body. 
Are There Any Good General Health Applications Online?