How often should women over 50 be screened for colorectal cancer?

The American Cancer Society recommends that women at average risk for colorectal cancer have one of the following screening tests beginning at age 50. These tests are divided into two groups: tests that find both colorectal cancer and polyps, and those that mainly find cancer.

Tests that find cancer and polyps include the following:

• Colonoscopy every 10 years
  • Flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years
  • CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy) every five years
  • Double contrast barium enema every five years

(If any of the above tests are positive, a colonoscopy should be done.)

Tests that mainly find cancer include the following:

• Fecal occult blood test (FOBT) every year
  • Fecal immunochemical test (FIT) every year
  • Stool DNA (sDNA) test every three years

Discuss options and procedures with your healthcare provider to determine the best screening method for you.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Know When You Need a 3D Mammogram
I recently booked an appointment for my first-ever mammogram. During the call, I was offered the option of having a three-dimensional (3D) mammogram, ...
Can female athletes have low calcium levels?
The recommended intake of calcium for women is: 9-18 years: 1,300 mg 19-50 years: 1,000 mg 50+ ...
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get expert tips for a better -- and less uncomfortable -- gyno appointment.
When to Stop Apologizing
When to Stop Apologizing