How often does a healthy young woman need a check-up?

Jame K. Heskett, MD
Family Medicine
If you are healthy, I still think a once yearly check up is optimal for most women. It is healthy to maintain a relationship with your doctor. This way anticipatory health guidance and future preventative care can be discussed. It is always better to be proactive about your health than wait until you have problems to develop. A once-yearly visit even while "healthy" can take the fear out of going to the doctor. Not a lot of testing needs to be done at the visit, but even small changes in one's health can be important to keep on top of. 
There are varying recommendations. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that women get an annual physical exam. At a minimum, it is recommended that all women ages 21-65 obtain a pap smear every 3 years starting at age 21. Women younger than 21 do not need a pap smear.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

8 Things to Know Before You Get a Mammogram
We read the clever slogans. We wear the pink ribbons. We donate to the fundraisers. And yet, despite our booming breast cancer awareness, a sizeable p...
What can cause bladder problems in older women?
Capital Regional Medical CenterCapital Regional Medical Center
The bladder has two functions: store urine empty on demand There are many things that cause pr...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
How Vitamin C Can Stabilize Your Adrenal Glands