How often does a healthy young woman need a check-up?

There are varying recommendations. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that women get an annual physical exam. At a minimum, it is recommended that all women ages 21-65 obtain a pap smear every 3 years starting at age 21. Women younger than 21 do not need a pap smear.
Jame K. Heskett, MD
Family Medicine
If you are healthy, I still think a once yearly check up is optimal for most women. It is healthy to maintain a relationship with your doctor. This way anticipatory health guidance and future preventative care can be discussed. It is always better to be proactive about your health than wait until you have problems to develop. A once-yearly visit even while "healthy" can take the fear out of going to the doctor. Not a lot of testing needs to be done at the visit, but even small changes in one's health can be important to keep on top of. 

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Surprising Ways Alzheimer’s Impacts Women Differently Than Men
While Alzheimer’s disease is common among both men and women—it’s the sixth leading cause of death in the US overall—its prevalence (the proportion of...
Should I consider seeing a doctor if I notice changes in my breasts?
St. Mary Medical CenterSt. Mary Medical Center
Things that change hormone levels will change your breasts, and so a lot of women will notice change...
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get the most out of your next OBGYN appointment with these expert tips.
What Lifestyle Changes Can I Make to Decrease Symptoms of PCOS?