How often should I douche?

The vagina is a "self-cleaning oven," and you shouldn't douche to stay clean. You have your own bacteria in there. They're for you. You're supposed to have them there. When you wipe them out with a vinegar douche, then you're left with repopulating it with whatever happens to be nearby. It may not be what's best for you.

Douching may even make you more likely to have some problems, such as ectopic pregnancies and infections that can cause infertility. That's why I don't think there's any really good reason to douche. Period.

Keeping the vagina clean externally is important. You should always wipe front to back to prevent urinary tract infections. And if you are worried about something in that area, you should go to a doctor and get treatment. Covering up problems with a douche won't solve anything.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Women's Health