How is a mammogram done if I have breast implants?

A mammogram for someone with breast implants involves two additional views.

In women who have breast implants, four pictures of each breast are usually taken for a mammogram—two with the implants included in the image and two with the implants pushed back (implant displacement), compressing only the breast tissue in front of them. This allows for a more thorough evaluation of the breast tissue. Implants can obscure some areas of the breast tissue, but using the implant displacement technique increases the overall amount of breast tissue that is adequately visible on each film.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

3 Clothing Items That Can Hurt Your Health
“Kill me, but make me beautiful,” I remember my great-aunt telling me, as she recalled her days of wearing a corset. I laughed at these stories, as I ...
What is vulvovaginal atrophy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When estrogen levels remain low, less moisture comes through the vaginal wall to provide lubrication...
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get the most out of your next OBGYN appointment with these expert tips.
Can Exercise Help with the Symptoms of Endometriosis?