How is a mammogram done if I have breast implants?

A mammogram for someone with breast implants involves two additional views.

In women who have breast implants, four pictures of each breast are usually taken for a mammogram—two with the implants included in the image and two with the implants pushed back (implant displacement), compressing only the breast tissue in front of them. This allows for a more thorough evaluation of the breast tissue. Implants can obscure some areas of the breast tissue, but using the implant displacement technique increases the overall amount of breast tissue that is adequately visible on each film.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Walk Each Day to Lower Breast Cancer Risk
Nearly 300,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer for the first time every year. But it turns out that something as simple as walking could help k...
Should I consider seeing a doctor if I notice changes in my breasts?
St. Mary Medical CenterSt. Mary Medical Center
Things that change hormone levels will change your breasts, and so a lot of women will notice change...
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The unique ways women are affected by STIs, plus tips on prevention.
Is There a Screening Test for Ovarian Cancer?