How can I get the most accurate mammogram results?

You will get the most accurate results if you have your examinations at an ACR accredited facility and read by a Radiologist with specialized training in breast imaging.

Mammography is not a perfect science. Besides missing about 10 percent of cancers, it has also been known to sound false alarms, sometimes leading to surgical biopsies that later turned out to be unnecessary. Fortunately, there are things women can do to increase their likelihood of an accurate exam. The American Cancer Society recommends the following:

• Go to an imaging center that either specializes in mammograms or does many mammograms a day; more experienced centers tend to have better accuracy rates.
  • If you like the center, go there for all future mammograms; this makes it easier to compare your tests from year to year.
  • If you've had mammograms someplace else, make every attempt to bring or transfer the previous mammograms to the new center.
  • Don't wear deodorant; it can look like calcium spots on the X-ray film.
  • Discuss any unusual symptoms with the technologist and doctor, and be prepared to discuss your medical history.
Dr. Elisa R. Port, MD
Surgical Oncologist

False positives in mammography can occasionally result in unnecessary procedures. In this video, Elisa Port, MD, a surgeon at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, explains what the risks are for false positives.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Success Story: Sheila Turn
Success Story: Sheila Turn
Name: Sheila Turn Age: 61 Former RealAge: 69 Current RealAge: 53.5 Start weight: 300+ Current weight: 130 What was really killing me: The combination...
What is the connection between hormonal changes and anxiety in women?
There is absolutely a connection between hormonal changes and anxiety and other psychiatric symptoms...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
The Holistic Way to Fight Fatigue
The Holistic Way to Fight Fatigue