How does ovulation affect menstruation?

Ovulation usually takes place about halfway through a normal 28-day menstrual cycle. After ovulation, the body produces high levels of the hormones progesterone and estrogen. The hormones thicken the lining of the uterus in anticipation of a fertilized egg. If no fertilization occurs after ovulation, after about 14 days the lining of the uterus is shed to begin menstruation. If no ovulation occurs at all, the menstrual hormones become imbalanced. Menstruation can become irregular or even stop.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Ladies, Ditch These Bad Back Habits
Ladies, Ditch These Bad Back Habits
From hauling around a giant purse to wearing high heels, us girls can do a serious number on the health of our backs. Turns out, a few seemingly harm...
How soon will I get the results of my mammogram?
SwedishSwedish
Your report will be in the mail within 7 to 10 days of your visit -- after your films have been revi...
Things No One Tells You About Menopause
Things No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About MenopauseThings No One Tells You About Menopause
Hair in weird places, “menopause brain” and other wonders of the female body. 
Do You Treat Heart Disease Differently in Women?