How can I choose the right breast screening method?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

The best thing you can do is be a proactive, smart patient and take charge of your breast health. Here are some suggestions:

• Go to a center that specializes in breast imaging and may be able to use other imaging modalities that may be right for you.
  • Ask your doctor to compare your mammogram to previous mammograms. It makes life-threatening cancerous changes easier to see. If you’re switching centers, ask your previous center for copies of your mammograms to give to your new doctor for review.
  • Ask your doctor if other imaging modalities are right for you. If you have dense breasts, you may benefit from a breast ultrasound or an MRI. With an MRI, Christina Applegate, at age 36, was diagnosed with breast cancer that a mammogram missed. Her organization, Right Action for Women, provides aid to individuals who are at increased risk for breast cancer and do not have insurance or the financial flexibility to cover the high costs associated with breast screenings.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

There is a modification to mammogram, using specially enabled machines with computer assisted imaging, called tomosynthesis. This is also popularly called 3D Mammogram. Radiologists have been enthusiastic about this technique for years. We now have data to back up the enthusiasm: tomosynthesis significantly reduces the number of false positive screenings or "call backs" for further imaging. It is also sightly better able to detect cancer lesions than traditional mammogram. Ask if your clinician will write an order for tomosynthesis if you are interested.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

A Super Food to Prevent PMS
A Super Food to Prevent PMS
Are you among the 85 percent of menstruating women who get premenstrual syndrome (PMS)? Then here's some good news: You can fight back with spinach. ...
As a mom, why does my hip hike up and to the right?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Well, that fact that you are a mom is one big hint for me. In studio I refer to this as “mom hip...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?