How can I become pregnant?

Pregnancy depends on a healthy egg, healthy sperm, and favorable cervical fluid. For birth control to work, the process of conception must be stopped at some point along the way. During sexual intercourse, sperm are ejaculated through the man's penis into the woman's vagina. In the presence of certain cervical fluid conditions, some of the sperm move, guided by the cervical fluid, through the cervical opening, through the woman's uterus, and into the fallopian tubes. It is also possible for sperm to be deposited in or near the lips around the vagina during ejaculation, even without intercourse, and to travel up the vagina from there. If the sperm encounter an egg in the outer third of the fallopian tube, one may join with the egg. The process of an egg and a sperm uniting is called conception or fertilization. The fertilized egg takes several days to travel down the fallopian tube to the uterus, where, after one and a half to two days, it may implants in the uterine lining and develops over the course of the next nine months.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
Why might I have depressed shoulders if I am a woman?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
For women, two issues in particular contribute to depressed shoulders. The first is an ill-fitting b...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
When Is It Time to See a Doctor for Urinary Incontinence?