What can I expect at my first pre-conceptual doctor visit?

Here's what will be discussed during your first pre-conceptual visit:
  1. Health history
  2. Immunization history (ideally, you should be up to date at least 3 months prior to pregnancy so you do not contract immunization-preventable infections during pregnancy; being immunized will also help you pass healthy antibodies to your child during breast feeding)
  3. Partner's health history
  4. Health history of close family members and direct blood relatives - father, mother, sisters, brothers, grandparents.
  5. Discussion of any medical problems you may have and medications you may be taking
  6. Conversation about drug, alcohol, and/or tobacco use
  7. Assessment of risks for exposure to communicable diseases through sexual practices, work, travel, or changing the cat litter
  8. Physical exam including weight and blood pressure
  9. Pelvic exam and Pap smear to check for cervical cancer and other infections
  10. Urine sample to test for infection, protein content, and sugar
  11. Blood sample for blood type, Rh status, anemia, syphilis, hepatitis B, immunity to rubella (German measles), immunity to chicken pox (if you can't remember having had it), and HIV (optional but recommended - mandatory once pregnant in certain states as the risk of transmission can be decreased by altering regular obstetrical practices)
  12. Depending on your ethnic background and medical history, a blood sample may be taken to assess risk for genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, thalassemia, Tay-Sachs, and diseases common to those of certain patterns of ancestry
  13. A prescription for prenatal vitamins with folic acid and a DHA supplement
  14. A TB skin test may be offered if it hasn't been done in recent years or if you have a history that suggests exposure
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

The Female Brain Unleashed
The Female Brain Unleashed
I have been surrounded by powerful women my whole life. Growing up, there were so many women in my life that when my mother brought my fifth sister, J...
How does my vagina change with age?
In your twenties and thirties, the vaginal walls are bathed in hormones, making them strong and robu...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?