What can I expect at my first pre-conceptual doctor visit?

Here's what will be discussed during your first pre-conceptual visit:
  1. Health history
  2. Immunization history (ideally, you should be up to date at least 3 months prior to pregnancy so you do not contract immunization-preventable infections during pregnancy; being immunized will also help you pass healthy antibodies to your child during breast feeding)
  3. Partner's health history
  4. Health history of close family members and direct blood relatives - father, mother, sisters, brothers, grandparents.
  5. Discussion of any medical problems you may have and medications you may be taking
  6. Conversation about drug, alcohol, and/or tobacco use
  7. Assessment of risks for exposure to communicable diseases through sexual practices, work, travel, or changing the cat litter
  8. Physical exam including weight and blood pressure
  9. Pelvic exam and Pap smear to check for cervical cancer and other infections
  10. Urine sample to test for infection, protein content, and sugar
  11. Blood sample for blood type, Rh status, anemia, syphilis, hepatitis B, immunity to rubella (German measles), immunity to chicken pox (if you can't remember having had it), and HIV (optional but recommended - mandatory once pregnant in certain states as the risk of transmission can be decreased by altering regular obstetrical practices)
  12. Depending on your ethnic background and medical history, a blood sample may be taken to assess risk for genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, thalassemia, Tay-Sachs, and diseases common to those of certain patterns of ancestry
  13. A prescription for prenatal vitamins with folic acid and a DHA supplement
  14. A TB skin test may be offered if it hasn't been done in recent years or if you have a history that suggests exposure
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.