Do I need a mammogram every year?

Sometimes mammograms are recommended every year, less frequently or not at all.

Some experts are talking about not screening women on a yearly basis after the age of 40. If that happens, breast cancers will be missed and women are needlessly going to die. The lymph node involvement or the spread of the tumors will increase. The numbers of women who are going to need mastectomies will increase. The numbers of women that are going to need chemotherapy are going to increase. So, many experts do advocate the changes that have been talked about and believe screening should continue every year after the age of 40.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Beginning at the age of 40, all women should have an annual mammogram to check for breast cancer. The mammogram remains the most important screening device in the detection of breast cancer and it probably saves thousands of lives every year. Depending on a woman’s personal risk, her physician may recommend she begin annual mammograms before the age of 40. A revolutionary way to perform mammograms combining traditional mammography with 3D technology, called digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT), allows for more accurate pictures of breast health. Women who get their mammograms using the new DBT technology may find they are called less often for follow-up visits and more tests.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Know When You Need a 3D Mammogram
I recently booked an appointment for my first-ever mammogram. During the call, I was offered the option of having a three-dimensional (3D) mammogram, ...
How may diabetes affect a woman's sex life?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many women with diabetes at one time or another experience some sexual difficulties. In fact, one st...
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?