Do I still need a regular mammogram if I've had breast tomosynthesis?

Kathleen V. Greatrex, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Breast tomosynthesis is probably not going to replace the regular 2D mammogram, but it’s going to be used in conjunction with the 2D mammogram. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved breast tomosynthesis, which is a method of imaging the breast in 3D, in February 2011. It is recommended in women who have dense breast tissue.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Women's Health