How can I determine the best days to try to get pregnant?

For a typical 28-30 day cycle (meaning from the first day of a period to the first day of the following period is 28-30 days), we recommend sex every other day, days 10-20 of the cycle (day 1 is first day of your period) with the most optimal days being days 12, 14 and 16.  Ovulation typically occurs on day 14 of the cycle in a woman with a 28-day cycle. If your cycle is longer, you ovulate later in the month i.e. 32 day cycle, ovulation is day 18. There are helpful apps on phones now to help track this. Ovulation predictor kits are also helpful. 
The best way to determine when are “your best days to get pregnant", is to determine when you are ovulating. Every woman's menstrual cycle is different and they ovulate at different times.  In a classic 28-day cycle, a woman ovulates on day 14 of her cycle (day 1 is the first day of their period).  Women who have a 30-day cycle ovulate on average on day 16.  Women who have a 32-day cycle ovulate on average on day 18, and women who have a 34-day cycle ovulate on average on day 20. It can be very difficult to determine when you ovulate. I tell my patients to have intercourse on days 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19.  if you have sex on these days then you don't have to worry about trying to determine when you ovulate.
To figure out your best window of opportunity for conceiving, use this formula: Record the length of your menstrual cycle for several months (i.e. 28 days, 31 days, etc…), then take the average. Subtract 14 from that number. Now, for each month, the best time to conceive is that number of days after the start of your period. So if your period comes every 23 days, subtracting 14 yields 9-so the 9th day after your period begins is the best day to make love if the goal is to get pregnant. But you should get a head start since sperm can live for three to five days inside a woman's cervical mucous. You can also use your basal body temperature to pinpoint ovulation (more on that in a moment).

If you're trying to increase your chances of conception, your best chance happens one to two days before ovulation. To maximize sperm quantity and quality, have sex every two or three days starting five days before ovulation (because sperm can live for at least 48 hours in the vagina, you'll be covered). The challenge is that the actual day of ovulation can change from cycle to cycle.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.