How can I determine the best days to try to get pregnant?

To figure out your best window of opportunity for conceiving, use this formula: Record the length of your menstrual cycle for several months (i.e. 28 days, 31 days, etc…), then take the average. Subtract 14 from that number. Now, for each month, the best time to conceive is that number of days after the start of your period. So if your period comes every 23 days, subtracting 14 yields 9-so the 9th day after your period begins is the best day to make love if the goal is to get pregnant. But you should get a head start since sperm can live for three to five days inside a woman's cervical mucous. You can also use your basal body temperature to pinpoint ovulation (more on that in a moment).

If you're trying to increase your chances of conception, your best chance happens one to two days before ovulation. To maximize sperm quantity and quality, have sex every two or three days starting five days before ovulation (because sperm can live for at least 48 hours in the vagina, you'll be covered). The challenge is that the actual day of ovulation can change from cycle to cycle.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time, are trying to start your family, or already have enough children to start your own basketball team, you're bound to have questions about what it means to be pregnant -- and how you can increase your odds of having a healthy and happy pregnancy. But no matter how much you've read, watched, studied, or talked about this amazing biological journey, you have never read anything like this. In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz act as mythbusters for the hundreds of questions surrounding pregnancy in the same scientific, informative, and entertaining ways that have made them America's Doctors. In these pages, you'll learn everything you need to know about the miracles of fetal development, your health throughout the pregnancy, and providing the best possible environment for your growing child. Pregnancy is a complicated balancing act, but it doesn't have to be frightening. The doctors will help you de-stress as they describe accurately and rationally what happens during a thrilling nine months of life. While every pregnant body is different, odds are you'll experience some of the cravings, crying, and discomfort that almost all women go through. Your best tactic? Learn why these things are happening -- and what you should do about them. YOU: Having a Baby will teach you everything you need to know about what to eat (should I be eating for two?), how much to exercise, and what guilty pleasures will actually make pregnancy easier on you (and the loved ones who get to be around you for the whole thing). Each phase of pregnancy has different challenges, but the right information will prepare you for what's ahead. The interactive week-by-week calendar inside provides an even more detailed guideline for how and what you should feel through every step of the process. Exciting, cutting-edge scientific research in the fi eld of epigenetics has changed the way the medical profession looks at pregnancy, and now it can change your perspective, too. Epigenetics explores what makes us develop in certain ways -- why some people thrive at math while others are prone to chronic diseases. It turns out that there are easy things you can do that will not just help your baby's development in utero but will actually improve his or her chances of living a healthy, fulfi lling adult life. Filled with recipes for nutritious, satisfying snacks and meals even Pop can cook (yes, he can!), safe exercises for staying fit, and tons of YOU tips that will help you stay comfortable, YOU: Having a Baby is the ultimate guidebook for what to do from the moment of conception to the weeks after your child has arrived home. From morning sickness and food cravings to choosing a doctor and changing a diaper, YOU: Having a Baby will give you the real scoop about what's in store for you during this amazing time in your life.
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The best way to determine when are “your best days to get pregnant," is to determine when you are ovulating. Every woman's menstrual cycle is different and they ovulate at different times. In a classic 28-day cycle, a woman ovulates on day 14 of her cycle (day 1 is the first day of their period). Women who have a 30-day cycle ovulate on average on day 16. Women who have a 32-day cycle ovulate on average on day 18, and women who have a 34-day cycle ovulate on average on day 20. It can be very difficult to determine when you ovulate. I tell my patients to have intercourse on days 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19. If you have sex on these days then you don't have to worry about trying to determine when you ovulate.

Dr. Jeffrey J. Hunter, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

In this video, Jeffrey Hunter, MD, from West Valley OB/GYN, explains how a woman can determine the best days to try to get pregnant. Most easily, by tracking her menstrual cycles to note ovulation days.

Dr. Juliet E. Leman, DO
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

For a typical 28-30 day cycle (meaning from the first day of a period to the first day of the following period is 28-30 days), we recommend sex every other day, days 10-20 of the cycle (day 1 is first day of your period) with the most optimal days being days 12, 14 and 16. Ovulation typically occurs on day 14 of the cycle in a woman with a 28-day cycle. If your cycle is longer, you ovulate later in the month, i.e., 32 day cycle, ovulation is day 18. There are helpful apps on phones now to help track this. Ovulation predictor kits are also helpful.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.